Bellazon

Natalia Vodianova
Thumbnail

Evelyn

telegraph.co.uk

My Beauty Life: Natalia Vodianova

Sian Ranscombe, beauty assistant 

23 OCTOBER 2015 

The Russian model known as ‘Supernova’ tells us why she owes it all to her granny... My grandmother is without a doubt my beauty icon and forms a part of my first, very vivid beauty memory. I was 13 and sitting in front of the mirror, plucking my eyebrows. She came up to me and told me I needed to stop. I said, ‘Why? They’re so annoying, I hate them!’ She said that if I plucked them too much, I would regret it for the rest of my life. It didn’t stop me plucking my eyebrows completely, but I did it less than I probably could have. So thank you, Granny!

My grandmother would wake up at 6am every morning, run in the park and cook lunch before any of us had got up. By 8am, she would have her red lipstick on and her incredibly long red hair up in a huge hairdo. She always wore jewellery and perfume – of course, it was all very modest because we were a very poor family, but to my grandmother beauty was so important. She’s really an incredible woman.  

I also remember buying my first ever perfume at the airport – it was CK One. I used to go to the department stores as a much younger girl, before I became a model, and look at all the tester sizes of Chanel and Bulgari – at points, I dreamt about fragrance. It was so inaccessible to me. Spending so much money on this little bottle of perfume would have been such a waste, because I knew of so many better places I could have put my money. I could never treat myself to it, so finally being able to afford perfume meant so much to me. I think of money differently now. It can be a very rewarding experience to go and treat yourself to something. 

I love jewellery and sometimes I treat myself by buying something I want. It’s funny, though, because most of the time – in fact, all of the time – my jewellery stays in a safe. But that makes it very special to me. I’m not someone who considers the total look of my outfit every day. I always wear the same basics – just like my beauty routine. 

I don’t really have time to be very innovative with it, but of course I would always recommend spending time on your beauty routine if you can.

I’m a little bit upset with my hair. God gave me great skin, but I have to work really hard to take care of my hair – there’s a lot of it, but it’s very fine. Leonor Greyl Tonique Hydratant is great for my hair type. My skin can also be quite sensitive, so I can’t use creams or mousses to take off my make-up; it has to be something watery. 

To fix myself up, I always use mascara and a little bit of lipstick. I love Charlotte Tilbury’s mascara, and Guerlain makes beautiful lipsticks.  

I’m at my most confident when I’m at home with my children, but I love beauty and I think that good make-up is a great way of empowering women. I’m a mother of four, so I get tired quite often, but I have commitments I can’t cancel or postpone. No matter how tired I am, I have to go out there and perform. People don’t want to see someone who looks exhausted – they want to see someone full of energy. Make-up is my tool. I put on my make-up and I feel ready. 

In Natalia's kit...

post-16808-0-80332000-1446869922_thumb.j

post-16808-0-49423700-1446869948_thumb.j

post-16808-0-47107700-1446869954_thumb.j

post-16808-0-58582400-1446869957_thumb.j

post-16808-0-69174000-1446869989_thumb.j

post-16808-0-15939300-1446869993_thumb.j

post-16808-0-81590000-1446869996_thumb.j

post-16808-0-20041200-1446870001_thumb.j

post-16808-0-40197300-1446870010_thumb.j

rbth.com

New app by Natalia Vodianova: 'Love' is better than 'Like'

Russian supermodel and philanthropist, Natalia Vodianova, is now also a startup co-founder and creator of a micro-charity app aimed at the millennials -- people aged 15-35 who cannot imagine life without their smartphones. The app hopes to “add meaning” to their online existence.

Elbi is an app that makes possible micro donations of £1 or $1 to charitable organizations all over the world, including Save the Children, Walkabout Foundation, Blue Skye Thinking and dozens of others. In addition, users can get involved with artistic projects to raise awareness for various causes.

“Elbi is a platform that brings the power of the social and digital worlds to charities and connects them with people around the world,’’ Elbi co-founder Natalia Vodianova told RBTH. “With Elbi your small actions can make a big difference.”

It took three years to develop Elbi, and the app is currently available only on AppStore in the U.S. and UK because developers believe these are the most charitable countries. In the coming months, however, the app will be available in Russia and elsewhere around the world.

A crocodile for a girl in Cape Town

Elbi users generate content themselves. They can draw letters for schoolchildren who are learning the alphabet in Uganda, send a few words of support to a child in a hospital in India, or invent a funny caption for sandwich packaging in Cambridge.

Micro-volunteering takes no more than three minutes, the Elbi homepage explains. Each day users are offered “three good deeds” to choose from.

For example, on Oct. 9, Ms Vodianova reposted one such assignment through her Facebook and Instagramaccounts:

“Thanks to Elbi, my drawing of a crocodile has made it to a girl in Cape Town called Yawa. It will help her to remember the fun time she had building croc-robots with the Children Helpers Worldwide fund.”

Can “Love” really change the world?

Drawings posted by Elbi can be tagged by pressing the Love button, similar to the Like button on social networks. Unlike the latter, which has more to do with massaging users’ vanity, the Love button on Elbi generates micro donations. The better the created content --- whether a photograph, a drawing or a get-well message --- the more Loves it gets in the form of more money raised for charity.  

Elbi is also the name of a heart-shaped cartoon character that greets users and inspires them to do good deeds. It was created by Chris Meledandri’s team, which is known for the popular animated films, Minions, Ice Age, Despicable Me, and more.

Elbi’s other co-founder is Timon Afinsky, the head of Supernova. Ms Vodianova and Afinsky already collaborated in 2013 when they created the Donate a Smile app. For every selfie with a smile, 10 rubles was donated to the construction of children’s playgrounds in Russia. The project raised over 225,000 rubles. That one-off project showed that users are prepared to donate not only money but also their time to charity, thus inspiring the idea behind Elbi.

Charity for the smartphone generation

While an estimated 83 percent of millennials have a smartphone, the vast majority of charity organizations do not have an online strategy. Elbi provides charities with an easy-to-use digital tool, and also gives meaning to millennials’ online activity, said the app’s developers. The app was realized by a team of 12 developers in London headed by Eugenia Makhlin, who previously worked at Facebook, Google and AOL.

“Elbi is a true game-changer for charities and the causes they represent,’’ Makhlin told RBTH. ``We bring engaged, active audiences together in one place, enabling charities to find new supporters and drive engagement and donations through a range of easy-to-use tools.”

Elbi was launched in New York City on September 28 when Ms Vodianova introduced the new platform in the presence of Bill Clinton, Chelsea Clinton, Madeleine Albright, and other important guests. Elbi has been endorsed by many people including UK Minister for Internet Security, Joanna Shields, as well as Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, and co-founder of the Bebo social network, Michael Birch.

Natalia's FB

Дорогие, уже остались считанные дни до нашего с Dima Bilan и Yana Rudkovskaya благотворительного гала-ужина "Не молчи" в Сочи, который 10 октября пройдет в рамках "Новой Волны". Все средства от продажи билетов на вечер с концертом Димы и пожертвования с аукциона пойдут в фонд помощи детям "Обнаженные сердца" на развитие служб поддержки семей, воспитывающих детей с особенностями развития. Этот вечер

для нас особенный, так он является продолжением очень важного проекта, который уже помог нам изменить отношение общества к людям с особенностями развития! Миллионы просмотров музыкального клипа, тысячи людей приняли участие в танцевальном флешмобе, показывая семьям с детьми с особенностями развития, свою поддержку.

Очень жду всех гостей, которые решили поддержать нашу работу! Съемки клипа "Не молчи" и знакомство с нашей главной героиней Никой и ее мамой Милой стали для меня незабываемым событием. И сегодня я с удовольствием вспоминаю то, как все начиналось.

post-16808-0-12239300-1446874184_thumb.j

post-16808-0-50483400-1446874187_thumb.j

post-16808-0-12669200-1446874191_thumb.j

post-16808-0-67704900-1446874194_thumb.j

post-16808-0-98700500-1446874197_thumb.j

post-16808-0-49895200-1446874202_thumb.j

post-16808-0-79329700-1446874205_thumb.j

post-16808-0-16851600-1446874210_thumb.j

post-16808-0-13160600-1446874228_thumb.j