Bellazon

Cindy Crawford
Thumbnail

Marsnoop

"I think the experience of being a model has changed now because through social media, they can take more charge of their career. They take more charge of how they want the world to see them. I think the models of my generation, people only knew us from the pictures that were out of us but with social media, if you want to be silly or if you want to be more serious or if you have a cause, you can promote that on social media. I think that young models have a great opportunity to present themselves in a way they want to."

“I do [remember my first shoot]. My first real one, I started shooting in Chicago and each time it got a little more professional. I don’t remember my first shoot in New York interestingly enough. At the time, shooting with the local photographer felt like a big deal, and then when I did my first Pepsi shoot in Chicago, that felt like a big deal, even though the pictures are really cheesy. Then Elite hooked me up with a different photographer and those felt like the first real modeling pictures.”

“I think the most surreal [moment in my career] was walking down that Versace runway with Christy, Linda and Naomi to the George Michael’s song and the video. It just felt like this is something, you couldn’t quite put your finger on it because you’re in the middle of show week, but it felt like the stars were in alignment. That one moment became bigger than any one of us, it was just amplified by the fact that we were all together.”

“Modeling is modeling, it doesn’t change. You put on the clothes or the lipstick or whatever it is you’re selling and try to make it look good desirable—that’s what models do. You work with the photographer and hopefully they inspire you and you inspire them."

"We had this idea when we were at lunch one day, just talking about how my 50th birthday would be here before we knew it. The idea that I had coming out of that lunch was, [i should do] a book with 50 iconic images from throughout my career married to 50 essays about the lessons that I learned along the way to celebrate turning 50, because turning 50 is hard for any woman, or at least the idea of it is hard."

“I’ve been using Meaningful Beauty for almost 15 years now and I always use the day cream because it has SPF in it, even if I’m not in the sun. Just walking to your car at the supermarket parking lot you’re in the sun. I don’t wear a lot of makeup when I’m not working but definitely a tiny bit of cover-up or sometimes a little powder foundation, mascara, a little blush. For some reason I can not keep a lip color on. I go do a shoot, I go to my office, or I work out my office at home and then at night I definitely clean my skin. I do facials about once a month.”

“It’s funny, when we were originally pitching the idea, I had that picture where I’m wearing that Cindy Crawford sweatshirt and I like that because it’s recent and I don’t want to feel like I’m one of those people that’s pushing out 30-year-old head shots. Yes, I love my past, but I love my present as well."

“I have a lot of clothes that actually I haven’t even opened. I’ve saved old Alaïa pieces from when I used to do his show and he used to pay us in clothes, or CHANEL, so those are in a separate closet—more like an archival closet that I’m keeping for my daughter. I don’t have one piece that’s completely sentimental that I wear.”

“[My first fashion memory], I write about this in [becoming]; is that Flashdance off-the-shoulder sweatshirt, I modeled it with my friend for my high school yearbook. It was kind of the first time I was aware of a trend. I think every girl my age was obsessed with the Calvin Klein jeans so I had to have a pair of Calvins, of course.”

“In my bag there's a hairbrush, my wallet, my phone and then I have a little Sonia Kashuk organizer bags that go inside your bag. That way you can change purses easily because the kind of junk that ends up at the bottom of your purse is actually in this little organizer bag. In there I have hairspray, lip gloss, Band-Aids and a sewing kit—I have all of that in a little bag at the bottom of my purse.”

“I never really thought I wanted to do a book. I wasn’t like ‘oh, I really want to do a book,’ but my publishers and a couple of the girls I work with, they kept coming around every couple of years saying, ‘do you want to do a book?’ I didn’t want to do an autobiography because my memory is pretty bad. I don’t remember all the little details and also I didn’t want to do a tell-all about my life. Then I also didn’t want to do a coffee table book because I don’t really see my career in that way."

“[i tell my children], treat it like a job and be professional. I think that applies to any job but I think sometimes in fashion, you’re so young going into it, you forget it’s a business. Show up prepared, show up on time and ready to work. Don’t be on your phone, don’t be distracted, and don’t be tired.”

"Once I partnered with Rizzoli [for my book] they definitely encouraged me to include more photography and make it a bigger book. That kind of freed up the form, so I have over 150 images in there and I think there’s only maybe 47 essays. But the intention was the pictures, that's what everyone knows but the stories behind the pictures, or maybe not literally behind the picture, but what I learned from the experience, would make it universal.”

“Well it’s been a long time, so I’m not sure [what I would be doing if I weren’t a model] but I probably would have been an teacher. Both my sisters are teachers and we used to play school growing up. I was good at school. so I have a feeling I would have gone into that.”

“I try to get up before everyone else in my household. We have a Jacuzzi and I go down and go into the Jacuzzi first thing in the morning. That’s just my time for myself, to get centered and get mentally ready for my day. If there are any problems, I can organize [them there]. I like my day to run smoothly. Then I come up and put my workout clothes on, have a cup of green tea and then I get my kids up. If it’s a workout day, I’ll go down to the gym with my trainer. I love to do Infrared sauna, so I do that every time I workout.”

"When we started the [book] design process I wanted it to be iconic Cindy and we just kept coming back to this one [photo]. I always knew I was close with Herb Ritts as a friend and I worked with him a lot but in the process of making the book, I really feel like the relationship that I had with him was very special. It just felt natural to want to use one of his images of me on the cover. I would say Herb made you look the way you wish you looked when you wake up in the morning. I felt like even though it isn’t a recent picture, it doesn’t look like an old picture either—it’s timeless.”

“I live in Malibu; I’m from the mid-West and grew up in a non-fashion family. Then I started modeling and came to New York. For me, now and in my lifestyle, I just like [to wear] jeans and a good leather jacket, cute boots—it’s kind of like ‘off-duty supermodel’ that’s kind of my thing. A great pair of jeans that you feel good in, that’s what I like to wear.”

“There’s a Stella McCartney blouse that I like and I have that in several colors. If I find a great t-shirt, I’ll buy it in every color. I have a wedge that I have in a couple of colors, too.”

XCK2nfJu.jpg 9kjJvOnf.jpg wuK9Ijjw.jpg 4IWG8COW.jpg rB07M4yS.jpg HqxxfENy.jpg oLecPiRh.jpg hwkaFzRA.jpg ADRiYPly.jpg yW9GjKdN.jpg Q62Idbne.jpg xj9PIsZb.jpg Fvm9oSS0.jpg UkuRtkb7.jpg slKKpWsw.jpg l9z9coTP.jpg BBleSehX.jpg GS9rs9gP.jpg EgnuLoaY.jpg R4p1aAsS.jpg i8IzEC2E.jpg E9MoXAMS.jpg

thecoveteur.com