Bellazon

Cindy Crawford
Thumbnail

Marsnoop

CINDY CRAWFORD ON BEAUTY, FITNESS AND EATING HEALTHY

The supermodel and businesswoman dishes on her favorite products, the smoothie recipe she's obsessed with and how she feels about her daughter getting into modeling.

What are your earliest beauty memories?

Well, my mother was 16 when she got married and she tells the story about the very first time my dad picked her up for a date—she had makeup on and he made her wash her face before he would take her out. So cut to when my mom got married and she didn't wear makeup at all. I didn't grow up seeing my mom do anything, she never had facials, nothing. I do remember her and her sister would give each other perms, or she would sleep in rollers—she was more focused on her hair. So I didn't have that knowledge at all. Even in junior high and high school, I wasn't wearing makeup, I didn't have makeup. One of my first modeling jobs was with Victor Strebneski, a Chicago photographer, and you had to do your own hair and makeup, so I went out and bought one mascara, one foundation and my mom had a Mary Kay lipstick duo. When I got to the job, Iman and Diane deWitt were there in full makeup, so I was looking over at them and trying to do what they were doing. The final picture is hilarious. But then I started getting my makeup done at shoots and I paid attention and learned.

How did your skin care line, Meaningful Beauty, come about?

If I really want to wear make up and if I'm going to be on the red carpet or something, I get my makeup done. But for real life, I use very little, just enough to give me a finished look. I think that's why I focused on skin care and why beauty became my passion, because as a model, my job was to show up with clean nails, clean hair, clean skin, so that everybody else could do their job. I'm not a makeup artist. The story of how Meaningful Beauty started was that I met Dr. Sebagh through a friend of mine and he did this vitamin treatment on me and I fell in love with him and the products. The product that he used on me wasn't in a bottle, it was something he just mixed up in the back of his office like a mad scientist. I would just go to him privately for seven years, and then when I was 35, my Revlon contract was up and I was ready to do something different. We decided to do a skin care line together based on those vitamin treatments and that's how Meaningful Beauty was born.

Why the name?

When we decided to name it, we kept going back to the idea that every product would be meaningful—that there's a reason for using it, not just about needing it. We're asking women to take time out of their day to do this step. Meaningful Beauty also acknowledges why beauty is meaningful and it's because it gives women more confidence and we feel better when we look better. Our newest product is the Ultra Lifting & Filling Treatment [available November 10 atmeaningfulbeauty.com] and that was something I was interested in adding to our line as I grow older. If you become obsessed with it, you use it twice a day—I think Debra Messing uses it twice a day—but I'm a one-time-a-day type of girl and what I've learned from Dr. Sebagh is that serum should be the first thing on your skin after cleansing.

What are some of your must-have products?

I switch up my shampoo, but I really like Oribe for color-treated hair—that's what I'm using now. I also really like Wen for days when I'm not shooting because I feel like it doesn't strip your hair at all. Lush has this jasmine hair mask that I really like—it's a pre-wash mask so you can be sitting at your desk, or working out and then you can shower and let your hair dry as normal. Because I color my hair more often now, I need to take better care of it. Fortunately, I don't really need other skin products because I really love Meaningful Beauty. I use Neutrogena Body Oil on my body after I shower and Elemis has a dry brush I use before I shower. It's so invigorating, there's nothing else like it. Sonia Kashuk has an eye shadow palette that I just can't live without—it has like, 15 different shades of brown, which is all I need. And she has great brushes and half of getting your makeup on right is having the right tools. I use Maybeline Stiletto mascara and I like the definition and bend it gives, I don't like when they look too clumpy.

How do you stay in shape?

I work out with a trainer two to three times a week and my workouts haven't really changed in 20 years—I do cardio, squats, lunges, free weights. And then maybe I'll throw in a hike with a girlfriend or bike rides with my family once a week.

What do usually eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I'm obsessed with Neka Pasquale's company Urban Remedy—she's my new source for all things nutrition and health. She makes a great green smoothie—it's mint chip. It's a cup of Almond Milk, half a frozen banana, a cup of raw spinach, 1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves and a handful of cacao chips. It's so good, you seriously feel like you're having a mint chocolate chip shake and my daughter loves it. Now, I throw a little extra protein powder in mine. That's how I start my day. For lunch, I usually have a salad with chicken. I eat really healthy most of the day and then at dinner, I just want to eat with my family. Last night we had turkey meatballs with pasta and a salad and a vegetable—I just don't have the pasta. We have pizza night every Sunday night, but I make mine on a brown rice tortilla, then I put a thai peanut sauce on instead of tomato sauce, some vegetables and a little bit of cheese. I actually like it more than actual pizza. But I love chocolate, I have to have it every day at some point.

How do you feel about your daughter getting into modeling and following in your footsteps?

That's a tough one. Look, every mother thinks their kids are beautiful and she did one thing for Versace, but the thing I keep telling her is that if she wants to do it, it will be there in a few years. At 13, she's too young to fit into women's clothes and there's not a lot of good opportunity for her right now anyway. But if she does decide she wants to do it, then who better to guide her? I feel like I can help her without being a scary momager and guide her in the right direction.

How do you think the modeling industry has changed?

I'm so removed from it, I'm in Malibu in my own little bubble, but the biggest thing that I've noticed is how social media for young models has really enabled them to be personalities—they're not just a two-dimensional image that someone else creates. In a way, you're in control of your own destiny more. You see their personalities coming through more, like with Coco and Cara, and it's cool.

What do you want to teach your daughter about beauty?

I suspect that the way my children learn the best is not from what I say to them but just by watching me and if she doesn't see me being like, 'oh my god, I look terrible, I have so many wrinkles,' then she won't get that message. I feel like I have to lead by example.

Harper's Bazaar