• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ibra agent: Cruyff can go to hell

Zlatan Ibrahimovic's agent Mino Raiola has launched a stunning attack on Barcelona figure Johan Cruyff.

Raiola was quoted as saying in Swedish newspaper Expressen that "Cruyff can go to hell" and that the Dutch legend was in fact a "nobody" who did not know how to manage a modern day football club.

The astonishing outburst was in response to Cruyff's recent praise of Ibrahimovic's performance in the Milan derby, where he said the Swedish striker was "better suited to Italian football."

The comment was clearly viewed by Raiola as an indirect attack on his client's less than impressive spell at Barcelona.

"He [Cruyff] is becoming old and didn't have the courage to continue his management career, as he doesn't know how to train a modern club," Raiola was quoted as saying.

"Why didn't Cruyff tell Zlatan that he wasn't suited to Spanish football before Barcelona signed him?

"I think Cruyff should be in a mental asylum with [Pep] Guardiola, so they can sit there quietly and play cards together. They would be doing Barcelona a great favour."

Ibrahimovic scored in Sunday's Milan derby which ended 1-0 in favour of AC Milan. The striker has netted six times in the Serie A so far.

Ibra: AC Milan will be my last club

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has made the ultimate pledge of loyalty to AC Milan, claiming he will end his career at the club.

The Swedish international joined the Italian club from Barcelona on a year-long deal during the summer and has since regained his best form at the San Siro.

Ibrahimovic has scored nine goals in 11 games for the Rosseneri this season, including the winning goal in the 1-0 win over Inter Milan in the derby match last weekend.

And the 29-year-old believes he has found his footballing home and is determined to stay for good.

"This will be my last club, and then I will quit playing football," he declared to Aftonbladet.

However, his wish is purely down to Milan's decision whether to purchase him outright from Barcelona for €24 million at the end of the season.

But if he continues finding the net like he is doing now, his wish would surely come true.

Sweden v Germany Preview

Goalkeeper Rene Adler is relishing his return to the Germany side after injury for tomorrow's friendly against Sweden.

Adler has not played for his country since missing the World Cup through injury but his form for Bayer Leverkusen this season has prompted his inclusion in Gothenburg.

"It's nice for me to be able to play again and it was important that I could swiftly return to the national team," he said.

"I don't want to talk too much about the World Cup as it is out of my head. It was a bitter disappointment but that is football...life goes on."

Adler's absence in South Africa enabled Schalke's Manuel Neuer to establish himself himself as the number one but Adler is refusing to look long-term as he tries to win his place back on a regular basis.

He added: "The European Championships in 2012 are a long way off.

"I am looking firstly at the game on Wednesday and I am simply pleased to be able to play again.

"I will concentrate on my performance, nothing else will enter my head."

Germany boss Joachim Low has included four newcomers in his squad - Borussia Dortmund's Marcel Schmelzer and Mario Goetze as well as Mainz pair Lewis Holtby and Andre Schuerrle.

And experienced midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is excited at the youthful look of the squad.

"The first impression is good," he said.

"I'm looking forward to getting to know them. The age difference is not that big. They should be integrated quickly.

"We are young in terms of other nations and have a lot of work ahead."

The visitors will face a weakened strike force tomorrow with AC Milan star Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Bolton's Johan Elmander both absent.

Ibrahimovic has been rested following his match-winning performance for Milan against Inter on Sunday night while Elmander, who scored a stunning goal in Wanderers' 3-2 win at Wolves at the weekend, has remained in England as his wife is due to give birth.

On Ibrahimovic, Sweden coach Erik Hamren said: "On the whole, he'll be better off resting.

"This is my decision. If it had been a competitive game on Wednesday he would have played."

Sweden 0-0 Germany

Sweden and Germany ground out a yawn-inducing draw in Wednesday's friendly in Gothenburg.

Star names were missing from both sides, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic absent for the hosts and Mesut Ozil, Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski all out for their opponents.

The game missed their quality, with neither side seriously threatening despite a handful of hopeful efforts.

Things started slowly, neither side getting the ball into the danger area in the opening minutes.

Sebastian Larsson found some space in the eighth minute but could not beat Heiko Westermann with his cross.

A 13th minute corner from Sebastien Schweinsteiger forced Swedish goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson into action and he punched clear before an attacker could meet the ball.

Marko Marin was looking livelier than most but the Werder Bremen man was struggling to produce a final ball.

With 20 minutes gone things had not improved much, a series of free-kicks failing to open the game up.

Westermann was proving effective in clearing Sweden's attempted attacks but after 27 minutes the hosts finally created something.

Larsson was the provider, crossing for Pontus Wernbloom who could only manage a weak shot that bobbled wide from 12 yards.

That spurred on Germany and moments later debutant Lewis Holtby forced Isaksson into a smart save from 20 yards.

Marcel Schmelzer followed suit from even further out but Isaksson was again up to it.

There was one change at the interval, Germany sending Andreas Beck on for Jerome Boateng but - one snap shot from Marin aside - the game quickly took on a familiar look.

The visitors attempted to push the pace, Anders Svensson blocking a Sami Khedira shot and Holtby twice firing unsuccessfully at goal.

After an hour Joachim Low withdrew Schweinsteiger, Marin and Khedira, with Sweden following suit soon after, taking Mikael Lustig and Ola Toivonen out of the firing line.

The substitutions continued at regular intervals thereafter, increasing the sense that both sides were happy with a stalemate.

As such there were few genuine chances in the last half an hour as the game fizzled out to a low-quality draw.