Bellazon

Ryan Gosling
Thumbnail

I LOVE ADRIANA

post-20251-0-1446105022-11402_thumb.jpg

Ryan Gosling to Star in ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel

April 16, 2015

Ryan Gosling is in negotiations to star in the “Blade Runner” sequel alongside Harrison Ford, it was announced on Thursday.

“Prisoners” helmer Denis Villeneuve is directing the sci-fi thriller for Alcon Entertainment with Ridley Scott exec producing. Written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, the “Blade Runner” sequel will take place several decades after the 1982 original, which took place in a dystopian 2019 Los Angeles.

Ford will reprise his role as Rick Deckard in the film; it’s unknown whom Gosling will play.

The actor, who recently made his directorial debut on “Lost River,” will next be seen in “The Nice Guys” with Russell Crowe.

He is in production starring alongside Christian Bale, Brad Pitt and Steve Carell in “The Big Short.”

Villeneuve’s next film, “Sicario,” was announced as an official Cannes Film Festival entry on Thursday. It stars Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin and Benicio del Toro.

variety.com

RETROSPECTIVE:  RYAN IN YOUNG HERCULES

xakOMPK.jpg

HczsoaL.jpg

Ryan Gosling took up the title role in the 1998 series Young Hercules. The complete series is now available on DVD for pre-order. In a 2013 interview with Jake Hamilton, the Canadian actor reflected on his acting chops, looking back at Young Hercules and sharing, “I had a fake tan, leather pants. I was fighting imaginary monsters–they weren’t really there, but I was acting like they were there. So…”

thefashionisto.com

• 2 months later...

MORE RYAN

AS YOUNG HERCULES

post-20251-0-1446105023-27266_thumb.jpg

post-20251-0-1446105023-2896_thumb.jpg

“Young Hercules” was developed for Fox Kids Network and, as a kid’s show, it works very well. The stories are full of the lessons we’d expect to find in the old ABC Afterschool Specials: Don’t be a bully; be honest; own up to your mistakes; be true to yourself. And it all takes place in a world filled of young heroes, heroines, Greek gods (Ares, Bacchus, a young Hephaestus – the blacksmith/builder of the gods – and blond surfer Apollo, who is very much in love with himself) and mythological creatures. There are female characters, too – young Amazons, Strife’s half-sister Discord, and goddesses Athena and Artemis. Like its predecessors, make-up and effects can be laughable, but we’re in on the joke so it’s all good.

The lone extra, “Writing the Legend of ‘Young Hercules,’” is a good one taking us into the history of the show via its writers. Like “Xena” and the Legendary Hercules, the show was filmed in New Zealand, where many of Peter Jackson’s crew and Weta Workshop began. Teenage Hercules is played by Ryan Gosling (“The Notebook,” 2004; “The Place Beyond the Pines,” 2012), who was only 17 when cast. Make-up, a new costume design, and massive workouts and martial arts training helped him achieve the heroic look. His best friend Iolaus is played by Dean O’Gorman, who we just saw as Fili in “The Hobbit” trilogy. Chris Conrad and Mfundo Morrison are Herc’s young hero pals, Jason and Theseus. Joel Tobeck is Ares’ nephew, Strife, and Nathaniel Lees is centaur teacher Cheiron (usually spelled Chiron, yes); both were in “30 Days of Night” and “The Lord of the Rings” films.

Writers are usually on-set and available for quick re-writes; a line or two here, a scene or effect adjustment there. New Zealand is 19 hours ahead of California and two oceans away so communication wasn’t easy and rarely quick. Improv was the norm for directors, cast and crew. The series was shot in blocks of four episodes, with one of three main directors in charge of each block. This money saving process gained notice in Richard Lester’s “The Three Musketeers” films of the ‘70s and was famously employed by Jackson as well.

Shout! Factory presents the 50 episode series on six DVD discs. The full-frame picture and sound aren’t what we’re used to on Blu-ray, but the results are quite serviceable. It’s good to have “Young Hercules” and his mates all together again. You’ll want to give the kids something to chill with over the summer, and, who knows? Maybe they’ll start reading about the real adventures of Hercules. Recommended family viewing.

— Kay Reynolds

hamptonroads.com

(Note from me:  The DVD with all 50 episodes in the series is available from amazon.com. I give it 5 stars!  Well worth the money to see the teenage Ryan ham it as a fearless, swashbuckling hero.)

No, I was not referring your general post, sorry. :flower:

It's just whenever I see him in Young Hercules it makes me cringe. :ninja::rofl: Not my cup of tea, at all.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it.  :flower:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...