Bellazon

Camila Alves
Thumbnail

• 2 weeks later...
Momtastic.com

It is very important to me to make the Latin culture that runs in my children’s blood part of their everyday lives. I want my children to be able to connect with the culture that’s half of their being, as well as with our family back in Brazil. So, I’ve started with the basics:

We speak Portuguese, my native language. A friend of mine, who is also in a mixed-culture family, chooses a certain time of day to only speak his language to his children. I’ve been trying to do that with my kids and it has been working great. They are keeping up with it, and we’re having a lot of fun with it. The challenge is for me to remember to not speak English! 

My children enjoy Brazilian food, and they’re learning how to cook it. I always have a pot of beans on the stove! And a lot of times my kids take basic Latin foods to school, like rice, beans, meat, and vegetables.

We love Brazilian music and dance. There is always Brazilian music playing, and I’ve been teaching my children our different dances. Vida is better at Samba than the boys — but we are working on it!

They show respect to their elders. If you are Latin you know that your grandmother and the elders around you are the bosses. You respect and care for anyone who has been on this Earth for that long. You greet them differently, you get up and give them your seat, and you make sure they have what they need. My kids know to say Sim Senhora e Sim Senhor. It’s a sign of respect, like “Yes ma’am and “Yes sir” is in English. We actually practice that with the kids towards people of all ages. I think it’s a respectful thing to do.

Momtastic.com

17 Questions: Camila Alves Fills Us In
Meet our October guest editor, Camila Alves! The entreprenuer, model, and designer has been married to Matthew McConaughey since June 2012, and the couple have three children together: Levi, 6, Vida 4, and Livingston, 1. Alves recently took some time out from her busy schedule to fill us in on her travels, her family, and more:

On top of your busy career, you’ve said that you and the kids travel with Matthew when he’s working. Being on the road with young children is family unity, priceless, building character, and making memories to be remembered for the rest of our lives.

The most adventurous traveler in your family is all of us.

The place you’d love to visit again with the kids is Kenmone, in Ontario, Canada. It was beautiful!

The most surprising experience you’ve ever had while traveling was that I fell in love with the city of New Orleans!

When you’re not on a movie set, home is where we are as a family.

Your favorite thing to do at home is cook, do projects with my kids, and watch the sunset with a glass of wine (when I can!).

You keep your children grounded by not making material things a big deal. They understand the value of a dollar. For example, my daughter keeps losing her hair accessories, and I told her I didn’t have any extra money to buy more, that we had a budget for hair accessories. Guess what? She started to save them all in her backpack when she took them off at school! When they ask for extra things in the supermarket I tell them that I only have enough money to buy the things that we need and that if they want any extra things that we do not need, they will have to buy them with their own money.

Raising boys compared to raising a girl is a breeze.

Describe each pregnancy in one word: super easy (Levi), challenging (Vida), and the hardest one of all (Livingston).
You were inspired to name your daughter Vida, because Vida means life in Portuguese, which is my native language. It is the only girl name I had the whole time. I knew if we had a daughter, there would be no other way to describe her than as being full of life!

You beat stress by not making a big deal out of small things.

Your favorite beauty secret is sleep when I can.

Your morning routine is crazy!!!

You wish you had more time to sleep and time for me here and there…but I am getting more “me” time as the kids are getting older and going to school.

You swear by showing your kids love and respect and talking to them NOT like babies.

The thing you’re looking forward to most is every day.

Next, you hope to do more of the same that I am doing now, with a little more sleep of course!

US Magazine

Matthew McConaughey Says Wife Camila Alves Pressured Him to Get Married: "Either S--t or Get Off the Pot"

Alright, alright, alright already! Matthew McConaughey is known for his laid-back persona both on-screen and off, so when it came to the topic of marriage, it’s no surprise that he took his time.

“I had to get to the point where I saw it as more than just the thing to do,” McConaughey, 44, told GQ of marriage to wife Camila Alves. “I wanted to really want to. You know, I didn’t want it to be a destination; the fun is that we’re on the adventure together. And look, some of it had to do with her putting it on me. It took her going, ‘C’mon, Big Boy, Mr. Easygoing-We’ll- Get-to-It-When-We-Get-to-It. Either s--t or get off the pot.’”

"I had to get to the point where I saw [getting married] as more than just the thing to do," McConaughey tells GQ for its November cover story. "I wanted to really want to. You know, I didn't want it to be a destination; the fun is that we're on the adventure together. We talked about it spiritually. We did a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people that had been divorced, a lot of people that had been happily married. We talked to our pastor," he says. "In the end, our understanding was, 'Let's go make a covenant, with you, me, and God.' "

The Oscar winner married his model love, 32, in June 2012 and the couple shares three children. While he was hesitant about marriage, McConaughey has never second-guessed fatherhood.

“It’s the one thing I’ve always wanted to be,” the dad of sons Levi, 6, and Livingston, 22 months, and daughter Vida, 4, told the mag. “Never is a man more of a man than when he is the father of a newborn. Whatever decisions you make in the first six months of becoming a father, double down on them. I mean, you're meeting the Courier. You're meeting the Shepherd, the Future Prince. You immediately have something you don't have to think about. You know what's important. Bam! And the clarity of that is like, ‘Whew.’ I definitely got more selfish. And at the same time, I think I got more compassionate, which don't always go together, you know?”

Zimbio

Model Camila Alves McConaughey attends the 28th American Cinematheque Award honoring Matthew McConaughey at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on October 21, 2014 in Beverly Hills, California. She is wearinga  Dolce & Gabbana dress, with an Aldo clutch and Neil Lane jewels.

CamilaAlvesArrivalsAmericanCinemathequeHCamilaAlvesArrivalsAmericanCinematheque_

CamilaAlvesArrivalsAmericanCinemathequeuCamilaAlvesArrivalsAmericanCinemathequem

CamilaAlvesArrivalsAmericanCinemathequeUCamilaAlvesArrivalsAmericanCinemathequex

camila-R1_zpscd3ffcae.jpg