Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

20 hours ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

Oh you lucky duck! :D I try not to judge a book by it's cover but ur name was a sort of dead giveaway but I had to ask first before I made an assumption :p

Fav all time dish from Hawaii sir? I must know! :laugh:

Kalua pork. And...... wrong assumption :p.  Remember what they say about assumptions....cf. Felix Unger, "The Odd Couple."

15 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Have either of you ever made a pizza in a cast iron skillet?

I have! My flatmate's a culinary genius (say it pompously for maximum effect) and every once in a while she'd go crazy over the amount of veg we hadn't eaten and just toss everything in the only clean dish, our cast iron skillet. Always turns out well, but probably not if you like thin crust :p It's frankly more like a bread with toppings than what we call pizza.

My life, food wise, has mostly been Tesco sandwiches and exorbitantly priced Freddos, but I took a trip to Washington DC and that was spectacular.

I was just really, really excited about stopping by Milk Bar. Worth it. Also adored the sorbets at a place called Rasika that made a kind of spinach my party ate so fast I couldn't photograph it! And, of course, Georgetown Cupcake. It was a desserts-only kind of trip.

Infamous cereal milk soft serve from Milk Bar :smile: Way saltier than expected but tastes exactly like what it claims to be, so!

Surprise at the bottom of the cup too :p 

LVsANP1C.jpg 

7 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

I have! My flatmate's a culinary genius (say it pompously for maximum effect) and every once in a while she'd go crazy over the amount of veg we hadn't eaten and just toss everything in the only clean dish, our cast iron skillet. Always turns out well, but probably not if you like thin crust :p It's frankly more like a bread with toppings than what we call pizza.

My life, food wise, has mostly been Tesco sandwiches and exorbitantly priced Freddos, but I took a trip to Washington DC and that was spectacular.

I was just really, really excited about stopping by Milk Bar. Worth it. Also adored the sorbets at a place called Rasika that made a kind of spinach my party ate so fast I couldn't photograph it! And, of course, Georgetown Cupcake. It was a desserts-only kind of trip.

Infamous cereal milk soft serve from Milk Bar :smile: Way saltier than expected but tastes exactly like what it claims to be, so!

Surprise at the bottom of the cup too :p 

LVsANP1C.jpg 

:thumbs_up:

I like NY style pizza, but Sicilian style pizza is good too. 

David Chang (Momofuku) is awesome and I love the scientific approach he takes to cooking.

I found out about Milk Bar (Sister Bakery to Momofuku) when I was watching The Mind of a Chef season 1 with David Chang. Christina Tosi (owner & founder of Momofuku Milk Bar) described her approach to baking and made some desserts on the show, they looked amazing.

If you like cooking and experimenting with food I would suggest watching The Mind of a Chef. Each season of the show has a different host. I liked David Chang's season the best though.

HAWAIIAN FOODS .... CONTINUED

#6 WHITE RICE

zeuYwTK.jpg

pPC2Sif.jpg  fUMBFsF.jpg

What it is: Two scoops of white rice are an essential part of the Hawaiian plate. Short-grain sticky rice serves as a great base and mixes well with everything. Asian plantation laborers who came to Hawaii in the 1800s brought rice and the knowledge of how to grow it, and people in Hawaii have loved it ever since.

How it’s made: Usually in a rice cooker.

#7  OCTOPUS LUAU

9MssEuV.jpg

GkUoHJ8.jpg  oApxiFD.jpg

What it is: Octopus cooked in luau (taro leaves) and coconut milk, which gives it a savory-sweet taste.

How it’s made: This dish is made by cooking octopus and luau in coconut milk until the leaves are extremely tender. Now it’s sometimes made with chicken or squid. 

buzzfeed.com

TO BE CONTINUED.....

51 minutes ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

Korean BBQ and then a giant ice cream cookie sandwich after :chicken:

That looks very tasty!

Did the ice cream cookie sandwich fall apart when you bit it? I hate when that happens.

^ Nope, because I bite the bottom cookie with ice cream, then the top cookie with ice cream and repeat this processes over and over until you have one bite left :p Biting both cookies at once would result in a ice cream avalanche :D I'm experienced in these matters :Amelie_wft:

On 4/28/2016 at 6:29 PM, MauiKane said:

lp0E7sd.jpg

#1  POI

Qu5PsV1.jpg  

ZaBPHwD.jpg  1TbtZo1.jpg

What it is: Poi is a sticky paste made by mashing taro (kalo) root, and tastes delicious mixed with almost any item on the Hawaiian plate. Taro is the low-calorie staple that ancient Hawaiians ate with most meals; it was considered the life force. Taro probably arrived in Hawaii between 200 to 500 A.D. along with the earliest Polynesians that came to the islands. At one time, Hawaiians cultivated more than 300 varieties.

How it’s made: By mashing the root of taro with a poi pounder while adding water until it’s the right amount of mushy and gooey. Many say poi tastes best a few days old, with fermentation giving it a slightly sour taste. If you don’t have time to hand-pound your poi, you can also make it in a mixer.

buzzfeed.com

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Taro is common in East Asia.  It should get bigger in the West, it's very delicious.