11670 replies to this topic

#11661 Michael*

Michael*

Touch the stars, feel what we're made of

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,853 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:08 AM

You always expect criticism after a defeat, although the sheer volume of it was a bit surprising on Wednesday night. Losing to the Premier League champions isn’t going to horrifically damage our season - it would have been nice to have continued our little streak of home wins against them, but realistically, that was never going to last.

Highly dubious decision to include Coates, though. He was thrown in at the deep end and unfortunately it showed.

images2ph.jpg

#11662 Frederick

Frederick

Strutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:23 AM

Back to back wins for Lambert's lambchops, Dortmund off the bottom of the register and Liverpool out of the Champions League: thanks Santa!

#11663 Michael*

Michael*

• Admin
  • 11,853 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:14 AM

Brendan completely 'out Brendan-ed' himself the other night, removing his only recognised striker when he needed two goals in 45 minutes. David Moyes reached similar levels of self-parody in the game against Fulham (blasting 80-odd crosses in the general direction of the opposition box), and only lasted a couple of months afterwards.

images2ph.jpg

#11664 Frederick

Frederick

Strutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

Mignolet? More like Me-no-play!

#11665 Michael*

Michael*

• Admin
  • 11,853 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

Barkley, Bale, Cahill, Johnson, Carroll. Bloody British players, always diving! :persuazn:

Some of our fans have unbelievably short memories. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I'm proven wrong, we're much improved since last year. Granted, ten draws in sixteen games is too many, but six of them have been against top ten sides (three against the current top four). Poyet has been successful in turning defeats into draws, the acid test will be in the second half of the season when he attempts to turn draws into wins. We've played the majority of the better teams at home already, which means we can focus on beating the teams around us. Starting now.

images2ph.jpg

#11666 Frederick

Frederick

Strutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:02 AM

Last sixteen of the Gazprom Chumbawumba League draw

65ab6e76-d5f6-4976-bb53-21d52eedde27-620

#11667 Michael*

Michael*

• Admin
  • 11,853 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:18 AM

Cool, a repeat of the '97 final. Arsenal's prayers well and truly answered there, too.

images2ph.jpg

#11668 Frederick

Frederick

Strutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Some of our fans have unbelievably short memories. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I'm proven wrong, we're much improved since last year. Granted, ten draws in sixteen games is too many, but six of them have been against top ten sides (three against the current top four). Poyet has been successful in turning defeats into draws, the acid test will be in the second half of the season when he attempts to turn draws into wins. We've played the majority of the better teams at home already, which means we can focus on beating the teams around us. Starting now.

Perhaps it's perception over reality but Sunderland's record against the fellow strugglers last season seemed curiously poor. A Hail Mary win like at Chelsea and point that should've been three at City were tremendous efforts that ultimately proved telling but I don't know if I'd bet the proverbial whatever on them beating Burnley at home. That being said, I'd be surprised if they ended up deep in the relegation picture this time out and though I'm skeptical of Poyet I agree that a year of incremental improvement is lot better than being a fiasco, as was so recently the case.

#11669 Michael*

Michael*

• Admin
  • 11,853 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

Perhaps it's perception over reality but Sunderland's record against the fellow strugglers last season seemed curiously poor. A Hail Mary win like at Chelsea and point that should've been three at City were tremendous efforts that ultimately proved telling but I don't know if I'd bet the proverbial whatever on them beating Burnley at home. That being said, I'd be surprised if they ended up deep in the relegation picture this time out and though I'm skeptical of Poyet I agree that a year of incremental improvement is lot better than being a fiasco, as was so recently the case.

Our late surge to safety, while stunning, was such a freak occurence that I'm almost tempted to strike it from the record. I always think back to last season's home defeat to West Ham, the last in a long line of 'do or die’ games that we failed to make any impact in. Poyet was a man at the end of his tether afterwards, the team wasn’t good enough and he'd tried too many different combinations of players and formations. But, whether by design or sheer dumb luck, he and his staff managed to create that platform in the end, and they appear to have worked fairly sensibly over the summer in order to build on it and just generally calm things down. By no means has it been scintillating stuff, but compared to that dire game against West Ham, I'll take it. The tipping point will yet again come in January when we have to act quickly to bring in reinforcements who can hit the ground running. We've paid the price for backing managers to the hilt financially so many times before, only to be let down by under-performance and complacency.

images2ph.jpg

#11670 Frederick

Frederick

Strutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

What license does Phil Neville have to commentate on Bundesliga games? The same one Marco Reus has to drive!

#11671 Frederick

Frederick

Strutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:08 AM

A duel on the patio between Roy Keane and TC23? Like their respective contributions to Aston Villa, how pointless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users