Bellazon

Football

goose

The Spanish football federation suspended Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone for eight matches on Monday after he was sent off during the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup.

The federation announced its decision three days after defending Spanish champion Atletico beat Real Madrid1-0 to win the Super Cup 2-1 on aggregate.

Simeone was ejected in the 25th minute of the match at Vicente Calderon Stadium for dissent after he vociferously called for Juanfran Torres to be allowed back on the pitch after being treated on the sidelines. The defender had received treatment for a cut on his lip that had bloodied his shirt and was waiting to go back out.

Simeone was suspended for four games for tapping the back of the assistant referee's head, two games for protesting, one game for applauding his sending off, and one game for remaining in the stands instead of going to the changing room after his expulsion. The federation statement cited referee Fernandez Borbalan's match report.

Simeone was also fined 4,805 euros ($6,339), while Atletico was fined 2,800 euros ($3,694). Assistant coach German Burgos will take over for Simeone while he serves his suspension. On Sunday, Simeone said he was ready to accept a sanction. ''When you make a mistake it is right to pay for it,'' Simeone said.

Atletico has 10 days to file an appeal.

United's apparent policy of buying attacking players just because they're available while neglecting the base that allows them to operate is mystifying. Still, a 4-2-3-1 with Van Persie, Rooney, Mata and Di Maria as the front four does sound pretty saucy, provided Van Gaal is able to get Young Master Wayne playing as if he's interested.

Regarding Yanited's latest howler: I know they played a few CBeebies kids but the most jarring sight by far was seeing the always dependably dry armpitted Anderson strolling around. This fella, I tell you. Ferguson made Van Nistelrooy, Stam, Keane and many others walk the plank with a lack of sentimentality that would make Jeffrey Dahmer blush yet this wage sponging Son of Bogarde has some kind of unspoken tenure at the club. This geezer's in his eighth season! Eighth! He's supposedly 26, he could end up there longer than Matt Busby! Is there a clause where every time he shows up for training on time he immediately gets a new four year contract? 

I wasn't too surprised by the limp displays of Anderson or the grossly overrated Hernandez, but I've come to expect more from Jonny Evans. Perhaps Nyron Nosworthy was the strong link in our 2008 central defence after all. :pinch:

It was seeing him at all that floored me, it was like going to a music festival and having the Fun Lovin' Criminals come out, you think "Really? Still plugging away the ol' Scooby Snacks thing in 2014?" It makes you long for The Datsuns or Hell Is For Heroes or, at a push, Tom Cleverley. 

Ze Chumpions League Draw

A: Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Olympiacos, Malmo

B: Real Madrid, FC Basel, Liverpool, Ludogorets

C: Benfica, Zenit St Petersburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco

D: Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Galatasaray, Anderlecht

E: Bayern Munchkins, Manchester City, CSKA Moscow, Roma

F: Barcelona, Paris St-Germain, Ajax, APOEL

G: Chelsea, Schalke, Sporting Lisbon, Maribor

H: FC Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Athletic Bilbao, BATE Borisov

• 4 weeks later...

A rather underwhelming start to the season then, but of course, one window was never going to be enough to turn us into an established side. Much prefer plodding along like this to what we were put through last year, we just have to be careful that the early-season draws don’t turn into defeats, like they did with O’Neill.

PSG beat Barca, and a very interesting game to watch, I don't pay attention to either but PSG is really amazing. Sirigu did amazing saves, but the highlight as the goal blocked by Marquinhos, it would have been a goal to Barca but that was truly something else. Best thing about it is PSG was Zlatan and Thiago-less yet still outdid Barcelona. 

Full marks to ITV for having the inexplicably ubiquitous Paul Scholes on punditry. If he were any more dower about Man City's prospects you'd start thinking he was a Man Utd legend or something.

I was starting to get a bit nostalgic for the days when nobody could get a word out of Scholes, but I've warmed to him slightly after the aformentioned miserablist turn. It was good value for a few laughs in a way that ITV's coverage hasn't been since the golden age of Keano.

Danny Welbeck = goal machine. :laugh: United fans presumably planning a quick flyover at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.