Bellazon

Football

goose

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

That whole team is falling apart :ninja: 

The AFA is corrupt as hell, like most of the Argentine government. I won't be surprised if what amounts to an entire team follow Messi out.

Congratulations lovey! God knows I would be waving our tricolour everywhere if we won the Euros :p 

Apparently my reverent opinion of Messi isn't shared here :p 

Can't help but wonder what life would be like if he had joined Spain.

8 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

The AFA is corrupt as hell, like most of the Argentine government. I won't be surprised if what amounts to an entire team follow Messi out.

Congratulations lovey! God knows I would be waving our tricolour everywhere if we won the Euros :p 

Apparently my reverent opinion of Messi isn't shared here :p 

Can't help but wonder what life would be like if he had joined Spain.

Congrats @Stormbringer :thumbsup:

So much debate about why Argentina lost, but sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. They lost because they weren't as good as Chile, a superb unit who play the game at an insane tempo with total commitment and coordination.

If I'm honest, I've a feeling Messi's retirement is a bit of a bluff, designed to strong-arm an inept federation into reform. None of this should rule him out of the ‘best ever’ conversation though, because he already is the best ever. :hehe:

3 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

Apparently up to 8 players could be leaving the team :ninja: 

Anyway, corruption in football federations is nothing new. Just recently with had a huge scandal here with the ANFP. The coach change just before this cup was due to this.

3 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

Thanks!! :D 

On 6/27/2016 at 5:50 PM, Michael* said:

Congrats @Stormbringer :thumbsup:

So much debate about why Argentina lost, but sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. They lost because they weren't as good as Chile, a superb unit who play the game at an insane tempo with total commitment and coordination.

If I'm honest, I've a feeling Messi's retirement is a bit of a bluff, designed to strong-arm an inept federation into reform. None of this should rule him out of the ‘best ever’ conversation though, because he already is the best ever. :hehe:

Thanks! :chicken: 

Agreed. I think the simpler answer is just the best one here: Chile was simply better, even if not by a big margin, and handled the pressure better.

The AFA is in deep shit. If the Argentine government bails them out their NT will be banned from all competitions.

You can see why Messi and the other players are pissed at the AFA.

For example...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2016 at 8:27 PM, Stromboli1 said:

Graziano Pelle is going to the Chinese team Shandong Luneng. He will make 20M/year for 2 years.

It won't make you happy though, Graziano. Well, it might. ;)

I suppose really, you'd probably have to say that Pelle has had a fairly average career so far, and his manager and mentor has left his club and isn't taking him with him. At 31, he'll likely see the stupid amounts of cash on offer as a fair trade-off for the absence of any further international involvement or any real competitive football.

On 7/12/2016 at 9:12 PM, Syria said:

Lincoln Red Imps (Gibraltar) - Celtic Glasgow  1-0  in the UCL qualifiers, wtf :rofl:. Scottish football has really hit rock bottom.

Still going back and forth on whether I think Brendan Rodgers or Joey Barton will be hounded out of Glasgow first. I'm sticking with my original prediction of Barton for now, he's been far too quiet as of late.

The FA can FO. They appoint managers who either can't be bothered to come and watch our games or actively tell our players to leave to improve their chances of getting picked for the squad. Now, whether Allardyce gets the job or not, they've shown no scruples about publicly disrupting our pre-season and any business we might have done in the transfer market.

On 12-7-2016 at 5:34 PM, Michael* said:

It won't make you happy though, Graziano. Well, it might. ;)

I suppose really, you'd probably have to say that Pelle has had a fairly average career so far, and his manager and mentor has left his club and isn't taking him with him. At 31, he'll likely see the stupid amounts of cash on offer as a fair trade-off for the absence of any further international involvement or any real competitive football.

I think he is pretty happy with his career. Remember that before Koeman picked him up at Feyenoord, he had never amounted to much.

Now he's had a couple of good seasons at Southampton and he's become a full Italy international. If people had told him this back in 2012, he probably would have called them crazy.

He also has an insanely hot WAG. So he at least has that going for him, which is nice. :p

On 7/17/2016 at 1:44 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

I think he is pretty happy with his career. Remember that before Koeman picked him up at Feyenoord, he had never amounted to much.

Now he's had a couple of good seasons at Southampton and he's become a full Italy international. If people had told him this back in 2012, he probably would have called them crazy.

He also has an insanely hot WAG. So he at least has that going for him, which is nice. :p

Yeah, it's alright for some. :laugh:

The intriguing thing with Pelle is that he's the first player in a relatively strong negotiating position to leave the Premier League for China. He was fresh from another good season at Southampton (admittedly the club were dragging their feet on giving him a new contract) and, apart from his penalty against Germany, enjoyed an excellent Euro 2016. I'm sure if he'd wanted, he could have used that leverage to bag himself a more traditional big move.

Overall though, footballers are no different from the rest of us. If they're offered a job with a massive hike in wages, they'll obviously find it hard to turn down. Saying that, the money in China seems a bit unstable. When Drogba and Anelka went to Shanghai, they promptly left after finding out that they weren't making as much as they thought.

Just a few weeks ago, Southampton lost Ronaldo Koeman to Everton at a cost of £5m. Sunderland lose Sam Allardyce to the supposed biggest job in football and the national media, bold as brass, portray us as the bad guys for wanting about half that amount in compensation, despite the two managers' identical contract situations.

27 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Alex Manniger to Liverpool?! Steve Bruce to Sunderland?! Phil Brown to England?!?!? NURSE!!!!!!

I'd wager that Brucey has taken inspiration from Peter Odemwingie at Loftus Road and is in the FA's car park as we speak, waiting for someone to give him the England job. Let's hope he stays there too, I'd run a mile if he ever came back to Sunderland.

Well, there we have it. You won't find many Sunderland fans who'll begrudge Allardyce taking a job he's always coveted, but you'll find plenty who (rightly) believe that the FA have shown no qualms about seriously damaging our preparations for a season that held such promise of ending our pattern of underachievement. Is it possible for Sam to do well, but for the FA and England to endure several more years of tedious, abject failure and misery? Because that's what I hope happens.

Quick and decisive action taken by the club for a change. Moyes seems like the sensible option and, despite a few obvious limitations, should be able to provide us with a bit of stability. We recruited well last January and it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine those same players being worth a few more points in the first half of the season as well. With a few more decent additions, that elusive sense of security might finally be within reach.