Bellazon

Football

goose

Sunderland won 100% of games in which Danny scored. Talisman! :chicken:

Shame to see old 'Golden' Graham leave us, as he probably could have come good had he been given a bit longer. Some players don't reach their full potential until they're in their mid-fifties, and this could easily come back and bite us in 25-30 years' time.

It'll be interesting to see who Big Sam decides to bung on the left wing now on Saturday. John O'Shea, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Currently being treated to the so-called experts on Sky Sports News discussing player ratings from 'Football Manager'. Absolutely fantastic. :rofl:

Got to love the high highs and crushing low lows of the "five things we learnt from Joe Hart's change of boot manufacture" culture we've doomed ourselves to. I see the fantasy football champions are also out in force today, offering nuanced insight that'll soon put your Butch Wilkins' and your Tony Cottees out on the dole. What's that, Obi-Wan Kenobi, sticking Mahrez and Vardy in your team because they're cheap and get loads of point is a GOOD idea? Are you sure you're a call centre middle manager in Castleford and not the ghost of Bill Shankly? 

Pete Guatamala, January 2016

"The Bundesliga winter break is too long. I've had my stubble perfectly curated by a herd of monks twice this month and been to the opera fifteen times and even I'm getting sick of it! I miss beating Hamburg 37-0!"

Per Guacomole, December 2016

"Anyone ever notice how kerrazy the fixture list in England is?!"

I'm really looking forward to the Superbowl coverage now, presumably with John Madden Football '92 used for analysis.

I personally prefer it when there's absolutely nothing happening and they're forced to pad it out, but there must have been a few corks popping at Sky HQ when the 'Pep to Man City' story broke, it's filled the day perfectly for them. They can harp on about it until 8pm, then trot out Jim White to fill us in on the latest comings and goings at Dumbarton.

It was 5.55 when I turned on so they still had some old wrinkly grizzler talking with Don 'Corleone' Goodman about the latest rumblings in the Jordan Rhodes saga, killing time 'til the Sky stunnerz kick off for the big 6pm tea time gruel shower ( the dreaded words Coming Up: Ray Parlour literally popped up as I typed this). At least the Man City manager stuff prevents Guillem Balague, always on a crackly phoneline from 1932, waxing lyrical for fifteen minutes about a Levante wing-back who Swansea have failed to secure a work permit for. 

I will admit to quite liking the bits where they get Guillem to do a video conference call, the angle of the camera always makes it look like a hostage situation.

It may only be a matter of time before Sky's payments to the Premier League arrive on the condition that clubs spend a percentage of the cash on deadline day signings, which I'm sure a lot of Arsenal fans would be in favour of. Knowing our luck, we'd end up with a vast backlog of wasters who we'd virtually have to pay to get rid of. What a thought.

Leaving 13 minutes from the end really was tempting fate. But enough about Liverpool's defence. We're going to have to hope for another of the teams above us to do a Norwich and lose four or five games on the trot. As in Swansea, Bournemouth, Newcastle or West Brom. There's also the tricky matter of us winning a few between now and May.

On 10/02/2016 at 2:50 PM, Frederick said:

I see 1982 European Cup runner-up Karl-Heinz Newspaperfiller is flapping his gums about a super league again. 

I'd watch that. The top clubs from Europe uniting to form an elite league, comprising such superpowers as Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus and, erm, Leicester. :rofl:

On 12/02/2016 at 9:05 PM, Frederick said:

If it didn't at least feign some form of meritocracy then it's a nonsense. You can imagine Milan, for instance, not exactly top of the pops anymore, feeling entitled to be there due to all sorts of dazzling revenue charts and viewing statistics.

Personally, I think the Champions League and the Europa League, even with all their undoubted flaws, still deliver everything a Super League could in terms of the actual football. Saying that, you could easily see them favouring a US style system where the clubs are essentially franchises that buy their way into the league, with no promotion or relegation unless said league expands or contracts. Presumably as a reaction to their panic over competing financially with the seemingly untold riches suddenly on offer now in China.

Not even Michael Owen's dalek commentary could ruin the game for me today. We really should have beaten Man City, we came back from the dead against Liverpool, and now have edged out (an admittedly rather ordinary-looking) Man United. The new boys have lifted everyone's spirits and are clearly a cut above what we had before, with Kirchoff in particular looking like a player who could hold down a place in a top side. The big problem, as has been the case since the year dot, is that we've given the teams around us such a massive head start and most of the other strugglers are showing signs of improvement as well. Still, if we can keep performing like this, we must be in with a decent chance of survival.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty hot draws for the next round of the Europa this afternoon, it looks seriously unpredictable and is interesting me a lot more than the Champions League these days. Had no idea that United and Liverpool had never met in a European tie before now. It could become an iconic game. It probably won't though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...