Bellazon

Miscellaneous

Neo52285

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet :wub:

The Power of Community

January 23, 2012 by Gisele Bündchen

While in Kibera, I was able to visit 3 of the 52 biogas centers that Umande Trust (www.umande.org) has built. The biogas centers are small buildings built in the center of the community. The centers are kept clean and organized. They are used to help convert human waste into methane gas creating energy for the local people to use. Biogas centers are also used as community centers for locals to gather to cook and socialize. The centers are important because running water and sanitation facilities are virtually non-existent. Before the centers were built people would put human waste in plastic bags that have been nick named “flying toilets” because the bags would be dumped on roads, in alleys and gutters. The centers have helped curb this unsanitary practice.

The upstairs meeting area for the community is used to teach the villagers how biogas works to create energy and the benefits of the center for community interaction. I loved that they created a place for the people in the neighborhood to have all their questions answered about how the new technology works. It is important that the public be educated on the many benefits that the centers offer to enhance the community. You can have a great idea but if the public doesn’t understand the benefits and feel included then your idea will probably fail. The guides encourage visitors to have tea or a meal because the villagers are more likely to accept the use of the gas from the human waste if they see foreigners comfortably using it.

In addition to educating the adults on biogas the children are also benefitting from the community spaces. One of the biogas centers had a library and another one was run by a local youth group who used that meeting area as a space for their youth theatre group to practice after school. I was touched by a performance by the youth group. Their spirits soared as they performed and their hope for a better world touched my heart. The youth group proudly shared with me that 5 members are currently attending university – this is a huge accomplishment for sure considering the obstacles of living in one of the world’s largest slums. Education is way out of poverty and I hope the other children get the same opportunity to change their lives.

The strong sense of community in Kibera is heartwarming and it reminded me of how important it is that we all take time in our day to know our neighbors. Each person has a story and if we reach out in our own communities we can make a difference. Volunteering to serve your community is important!

In my next post I will share an inspiring story of a special young woman I met in Kiberia. She is making a difference in women’s lives and is an amazing role model for teenage girls in her community. She warmed my heart with her story of how a simple action can make a big change.

Did you know?

Umande Trust has been helping communities like Kibera since 2004. Want to learn more about this incredible community-based work? See http://www.umande.org/.

http://blog.giselebundchen.com.br/en/plane...-da-comunidade/

post-42953-1327350593_thumb.jpg

post-42953-1327350620_thumb.jpg

post-42953-1327350630_thumb.jpg

thanks sick :wave:

They go in completely different professions, but have one thing in common: impeccable hair. Jacqueline (28) star worldwide advertising campaign for a brand of wireless products for next to Gisele Bundchen (31) and, besides recording the time, said details of conversation with übermodel.

"She said she played volleyball and enjoyed sports. She also said it will start to follow more volleyball, which will support me and the Brazilian national team, "said the tip of one of the top teams in the country and the team canary. "I liked her a lot and now a cheerleader and won both."

But the conversation did not stop there. Jacqueline also told that the mother of Benjamin (2), which owns one of the world's most coveted hair, said of her locks. "She praised my hair, said she was beautiful and should be difficult to care depending on the sport."

The campaign was recorded in Sao Paulo at the end of 2011 and will also have the beautiful Liv Tyler (34) Eva Mendes (37) and ten other muses sport elsewhere.

"Gisele is exactly as we see on TV, and beautiful, a nice person, relaxed, simple, and it was very cool," concluded the athlete.

Jacqueline is married to volleyball player Murilo Endres (30).

http://caras.uol.com.br/noticia/gisele-bun...ha-publicitaria

post-13850-1327703989_thumb.jpg