Bellazon

Elvis Presley
Thumbnail

TheBaronOfFratton

• 2 weeks later...

THE "LOST" YEARS 1958-1960.

ELVIS IN THE ARMY

On December 20, 1957, Presley received his draft notice. Hal Wallis and Paramount Pictures had already spent $350,000 on the film King Creole, and did not want to suspend or cancel the project. The Memphis Draft Board granted Presley a deferment to finish it. On March 24, 1958, he was inducted as US Army private #53310761 and completed basic training at Fort Hood, Texas, before being posted to Friedberg, Germany with the 3rd Armored Division.

(Elvis gets his hair-cut - a nation weeps!):

post-11221-1206114827_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206114843_thumb.jpg

Presley had chosen not to join 'Special Services', which would have allowed him to avoid certain duties and maintain his public profile. He continued to receive massive media coverage, with much speculation echoing Presley's own concerns about his enforced absence damaging his career. However, early in 1958, RCA Victor producer Steve Sholes and Hill and Range "song searcher" Freddy Bienstock had both pushed for recording sessions and strong song material, the aim being to release regular hit singles during Presley's two-year hiatus. The hit singles—and six albums—duly followed during that period.

In Germany, "(A) Sergeant had introduced [Presley] to amphetamines when they were on maneuvers at Grafenwöhr... it seemed like half the guys in the company were taking them." Friends around Presley also began taking them, "if only to keep up with Elvis, who was practically evangelical about their benefits." So, there you go - It was the army's fault!

The army also introduced Presley to karate - something which he studied seriously, even including it in his later live performances.

Presley returned to the U.S. on March 2, 1960, and was honorably discharged with the rank of sergeant on March 5:

post-11221-0-1446082395-53957_thumb.jpg

So, come on - who doesn't love a man in uniform???

post-11221-1206115064_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206115079_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206115092_thumb.jpg

post-11221-1206115172_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206115115_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206115129_thumb.jpg

post-11221-1206115143_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206115156_thumb.jpg post-11221-1206115102_thumb.jpg

elvarmy12.jpg elvarmy7ry6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
blond3cq5.jpg

ELVIS BLOND

Although he wasn't exactly blond, Elvis wasn't the raven-haired hunk we know and love either...

I think it's fairly well known now that the King dyed his hair - infact he even convinced Priscilla to dye hers the same colour! It wasn't a premature greying thing, just part of the image. There isn't much photographic evidence of his famous quiff au naturel, but in the film: Kissin' Cousins he does play a character with blond hair.

In this rather contrived cinematic outing, Elvis plays Josh Morgan - an Army officer sent to the Smoky Mountains to convince his 'kin' to allow a missile site to be built on their land. Once he arrives he finds he has an identical cousin (also played by Elvis - who'd a thought?), Jodie Tatum and then, well, much hilarity ensues...

Anyway, he's some pictures of blond Elvis:

blond1pz5.jpgpost-11221-0-1446082397-38779_thumb.jpg

blond5oe3.jpgpost-11221-0-1446082397-4054_thumb.jpg

blond4si4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dito, Baron :laugh:

Always appreciate to read "last post by: TheBaronOfFratton" coz I know there's something good waiting for me :thumbsup:

Graceland costed a 100.000? That's not much, is it? EVen considering the time? I mean it's a big estate, isn't it?

Dito, Baron :laugh:

Always appreciate to read "last post by: TheBaronOfFratton" coz I know there's something good waiting for me :thumbsup:

Graceland costed a 100.000? That's not much, is it? EVen considering the time? I mean it's a big estate, isn't it?

:blush: Bless you, cariño!

I don't really know what $100,000 should get you in 1957. I do know he bought it primarily for it's privacy (it was off the beaten track), and that the studios, swimming pool, squash court, and 'mediation gardens' were all added by Elvis whilst he lived there.

I should find some photos of the inside. It's pretty cool if you haven't seen it! I think there's a Tori Praver photo-shoot in Graceland knocking about somewhere...

Thanks a bunch, Baron!!

This wouldn't have been my choice of furniture, but the "media room" with the bar's cool! And I like the room with the peacock glasses in the door.

That bed could play the lead role in a Jim Henson's movie ... :shifty:

• 4 weeks later...