Bellazon

NHL

Capt Snow

I think the deadline to start the season is Monday if I heard correctly on the news. So if a deal isn't reached by Monday they will officially call the season off. :(

My favorite team is the Red Wings. :) Why? Well because you can't live in Hockey Town and not be a Red Wings fan, it's like Blasphemy or something. :laugh:

It's bad here with no hockey, Detroit as a collective is feeling withdrawl symptoms. We are one of the only Markets in which Hockey viewership out rates the other sports.

I think the deadline to start the season is Monday if I heard correctly on the news. So if a deal isn't reached by Monday they will officially call the season off. :(  

My favorite team is the Red Wings. :)  Why? Well because you can't live in Hockey Town and not be a Red Wings fan, it's like Blasphemy or something. :laugh:  

It's bad here with no hockey, Detroit as a collective is feeling withdrawl symptoms. We are one of the only Markets in which Hockey viewership out rates the other sports.

I was told another rumor today that if there is no season this year, the sponsers will change their contracts so that they don't pay unless they're making money. Which means the team owners would be screwed.

As for favorite team, I'm born and bred in Chicago, so you have three guesses and the first two don't count :p

I can't watch any other sports. They feel to slow to me.

i got this of the LA Times Website.... i would link to it but you have to be a member on their site...its an article dated for today the 19

NHL Might Be Resurfacing Ice

With Gretzky and Lemieux leading the way, league and players' union will meet today to try to save season. One report says a deal is already done.

By Chris Foster and Helene Elliott, Times Staff Writers

In a surprising turn of events instigated by two hockey legends, officials of the NHL and its players' union will meet today in an effort to salvage an abbreviated 2004-05 season — three days after Commissioner Gary Bettman declared it dead.

The sudden revival of negotiations comes amid an outpouring of concern by players and owners, who felt stung by the cancellation after coming close earlier this week to bridging their financial differences. The effort was jump-started by retired star Wayne Gretzky, now a part owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, and Pittsburgh player-owner Mario Lemieux, sources familiar with the situation said.

Bettman, NHL chief counsel Bill Daly, Gretzky and Lemieux were expected to meet this morning with NHLPA President Trevor Linden; Ted Saskin, the union's senior director; Mike Gartner, the union's director of business relations; and the union's entire executive committee.

Linden and Gartner met secretly with Bettman on Thursday, a union source said, where they discussed ways to reach a deal.

That led to a proposal for a salary cap of $45 million to $46 million, plus a luxury tax of 40 cents on every dollar of salary above $40 million, to encourage teams to curb spending.

The salary cap represents a compromise between the $49 million offered by the players earlier in the week and the $42.5 million sought by owners. The cap would drop to $42 million if more than eight teams' payrolls reach $46 million in one season.

The terms can be "tweaked" but not significantly altered, the source said, adding: "They have a framework that they are prepared to go with."

Bob Goodenow, the union's executive director, was not expected to take part in the talks. Well-placed sources said Goodenow told the union's executive committee that he could not recommend such a deal, or any deal like it, and that if the committee wanted to make that deal, it would have to do so on it own.

The players' executive committee — Daniel Alfredsson, Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Guerin, Arturs Irbe and Trent Klatt — decided to do just that.

"Something needed to be done," said Steve Rucchin, the Mighty Ducks' union representative, who was not involved in the committee's decision. "I guess there wasn't total closure even after the season was canceled. Things were happening. I'm not surprised at all."

Even if a tentative agreement is reached this weekend, time is growing short for staging even a fractional season, with a host of logistical and contractual matters needing resolution — among them the 300 players who must return from European teams and the 180 free agents who remain unsigned.

Sources said training camps could be open by Feb. 28, with a 28-game season to begin about a week later. In the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season, the final 28 games for the Mighty Ducks began March 7, and two days after that for the Kings.

"Realistically, the next 48 hours can have the impact to determine the next six years in the National Hockey League," said Pat Brisson, a prominent agent. "This is huge."

For months, the players said they would not accept a salary cap — something in force in the thriving NFL and NBA — while owners demanded "cost certainty." The owners sought to link player salaries to team revenues, which would act as a brake on payrolls if television and other income continued to decline.

On Monday, Bettman announced that he would cancel the season if an agreement could not be reached by Wednesday. During a flurry of pressure-packed, 11th-hour exchanges, the players dropped their opposition to a cap, while the owners no longer demanded that salaries be linked to revenues.

With the two sides apparently closing in on a deal, time ran out, and Bettman told reporters in New York that the season was over, all offers were off the table, and the league would begin planning for a 2005-2006 season.

Gretzky and Lemieux, two of the game's all-time greats, were said to have talked at length Thursday about how to save the season.

Lemieux is also believed to have talked with players Thursday, while Gretzky said he discussed the labor stalemate with Shane Doan, Phoenix's union representative. Doan was involved with the believed half-dozen players who were trying to create a proposal suitable to Bettman.

What followed was a series of talks between a group of top-flight players, high-powered agents, concerned owners and influential general managers, who all tried to find a way to salvage the season.

There were also numerous calls to the union from unhappy players, who wondered why the offer to give in on the salary cap — union executives had long opposed a cap — wasn't made sooner.

"There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," Dallas' Mike Modano said in the Dallas Morning News on Friday. "And a lot of people didn't like it."

When asked if Goodenow had the support of the union, Modano replied, "I don't know, I don't know. I'm not sure."

Bettman was also fielding calls from concerned owners, including those from Montreal, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Carolina, said a source who has talked with some owners.

The owners were "devastated that the season was called off," the source said and worried about the financial health of a league that could face irreparable damage to what was a $2.1-billion industry. The growing lack of interest among fans, plus the possibility that ESPN might not pick up its option on the next two seasons, increased concerns.

"There were a good number of owners who thought the two sides were close enough to get a deal before Bettman shut it down," the source said.

No major American sports league has lost an entire season to labor strife. The NHL was trying again to stave off being the first Friday night.

Late Friday, the Hockey News reported that a deal was done in principle, although the NHL Players' Assn. denied the report. A source familiar with the negotiations said there was "a lot of work to be done."

The NHLPA announced today's meeting in a statement. NHL executives did not respond to e-mails. Whether the season can be saved hinges on how Bettman reacts to the details in a proposal the union was still developing late Friday night, the source said.

Bettman, NHL chief counsel Bill Daly, Gretzky and Lemieux were expected to meet this morning with NHLPA President Trevor Linden; Ted Saskin, the union's senior director; Mike Gartner, the union's director of business relations; and the union's entire executive committee.

Linden and Gartner met secretly with Bettman on Thursday, a union source said, where they discussed ways to reach a deal.

That led to a proposal for a salary cap of $45 million to $46 million, plus a luxury tax of 40 cents on every dollar of salary above $40 million, to encourage teams to curb spending.

The salary cap represents a compromise between the $49 million offered by the players earlier in the week and the $42.5 million sought by owners. The cap would drop to $42 million if more than eight teams' payrolls reach $46 million in one season.

The terms can be "tweaked" but not significantly altered, the source said, adding: "They have a framework that they are prepared to go with."

Bob Goodenow, the union's executive director, was not expected to take part in the talks. Well-placed sources said Goodenow told the union's executive committee that he could not recommend such a deal, or any deal like it, and that if the committee wanted to make that deal, it would have to do so on it own.

The players' executive committee — Daniel Alfredsson, Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Guerin, Arturs Irbe and Trent Klatt — decided to do just that.

"Something needed to be done," said Steve Rucchin, the Mighty Ducks' union representative, who was not involved in the committee's decision. "I guess there wasn't total closure even after the season was canceled. Things were happening. I'm not surprised at all."

Even if a tentative agreement is reached this weekend, time is growing short for staging even a fractional season, with a host of logistical and contractual matters needing resolution — among them the 300 players who must return from European teams and the 180 free agents who remain unsigned.

Sources said training camps could be open by Feb. 28, with a 28-game season to begin about a week later. In the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season, the final 28 games for the Mighty Ducks began March 7, and two days after that for the Kings.

"Realistically, the next 48 hours can have the impact to determine the next six years in the National Hockey League," said Pat Brisson, a prominent agent. "This is huge."

For months, the players said they would not accept a salary cap — something in force in the thriving NFL and NBA — while owners demanded "cost certainty." The owners sought to link player salaries to team revenues, which would act as a brake on payrolls if television and other income continued to decline.

On Monday, Bettman announced that he would cancel the season if an agreement could not be reached by Wednesday. During a flurry of pressure-packed, 11th-hour exchanges, the players dropped their opposition to a cap, while the owners no longer demanded that salaries be linked to revenues.

With the two sides apparently closing in on a deal, time ran out, and Bettman told reporters in New York that the season was over, all offers were off the table, and the league would begin planning for a 2005-2006 season.

Gretzky and Lemieux, two of the game's all-time greats, were said to have talked at length Thursday about how to save the season.

Lemieux is also believed to have talked with players Thursday, while Gretzky said he discussed the labor stalemate with Shane Doan, Phoenix's union representative. Doan was involved with the believed half-dozen players who were trying to create a proposal suitable to Bettman.

What followed was a series of talks between a group of top-flight players, high-powered agents, concerned owners and influential general managers, who all tried to find a way to salvage the season.

There were also numerous calls to the union from unhappy players, who wondered why the offer to give in on the salary cap — union executives had long opposed a cap — wasn't made sooner.

"There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," Dallas' Mike Modano said in the Dallas Morning News on Friday. "And a lot of people didn't like it."

When asked if Goodenow had the support of the union, Modano replied, "I don't know, I don't know. I'm not sure."

Bettman was also fielding calls from concerned owners, including those from Montreal, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Carolina, said a source who has talked with some owners.

The owners were "devastated that the season was called off," the source said and worried about the financial health of a league that could face irreparable damage to what was a $2.1-billion industry. The growing lack of interest among fans, plus the possibility that ESPN might not pick up its option on the next two seasons, increased concerns.

"There were a good number of owners who thought the two sides were close enough to get a deal before Bettman shut it down," the source said.

No major American sports league has lost an entire season to labor strife. The NHL was trying again to stave off being the first Friday night.

A little late, but here's the official press release :cry:

NHL ANNOUNCES CANCELLATION OF 2004-05 SEASON

NEW YORK (February 16, 2005) - The National Hockey League announced today that, because a new collective bargaining agreement has not been realized, it no longer is practical to conduct an abbreviated 2004-05 season.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman issued the following statement:

"Every professional sports League owes its very existence to its fans. Everyone associated with the National Hockey League owes our fans an apology for being unable to accomplish what is necessary for our game and our fans. We are truly sorry.

"Five months ago, I stated that the National Hockey League could not function without an economic system that will bring our League into the 21st Century. I said that our 30 Clubs were united in their dedication to an economic system under which the teams and players, sharing common objectives and a commitment to our fans' satisfaction, would work together as partners.

"The time since then has been devoted to the pursuit of that goal. Today, I can tell you that our determination remains every bit as strong as it was in September to secure the partnership required to protect and ensure the future of the League ... for the benefit of the Clubs, the Players, and our devoted fans.

"When I stood before you in September, I said NHL teams would not play again until our economic problems had been solved. As I stand before you today, it is my sad duty to announce that because that solution has not yet been attained, it no longer is practical to conduct even an abbreviated season. Accordingly, I have no choice but to announce the formal cancellation of play for 2004-05.

"We profoundly regret the suffering this has caused our fans, our business partners and the thousands of people who depend on our industry for their livelihoods. We will continue to explore and pursue all available options in order to achieve a successful resolution to this dispute and to get the best game in the world back where it belongs -- on the ice, in front of the best fans in the world.

"As I also said in September, what we must do now is not about the present or the short-term needs of this season. Rather, it is about the future of our League and 30 teams.

"The National Hockey League was formed in 1917, and it has played a season through to a championship in every year but 1919. Through the decades and the generations we have faced a variety of crises and challenges -- some of which seemed catastrophic at the time. The League persevered through all those adversities and the League will persevere through this one, as well -- to emerge with a framework for the future, one that is fair to everyone -- where our players are fairly paid, receiving what we can afford -- no more, no less.

"This is a sad, regrettable day that all of us wish could have been avoided."

• 3 weeks later...

DAYS OF RECKONING WILL SOON BE HERE

by Larry Brooks / New York Post

March 13, 2005 -- IF GARY Bettman has said it once, he has said it dozens of times throughout the lockout. The NHL, the Commissioner of the Owners has repeatedly testified, would lose less money by not playing the 2004-05 season than by playing it. It's become part of the league's mantra.

But if this is true, then why would the NHL be offering less to the players now than it was a year ago? If an overwhelming majority of clubs are in better financial shape today than they were, say, last June, why wouldn't the league's CBA offers to the PA be more generous than they were last summer?

Days of reckoning are fast approaching as the NHL lurches forward on its path of crisis mismanagement, scabs, replacement options and self-destruction. Forget the Entry Draft, forget training camp, forget the autumn. The first deadline the NHL faces is the one upcoming in approximately two months, when teams are scheduled to send "renewal" invoices to their season ticket-holders.

This past Thursday morning, we sent e-mails to all 30 teams (and copied the league office) requesting the following information: a) the approximate date of invoice mailing; B) whether ticket prices would be lowered, and, if so, by what percentage; c) whether pricing would be dependent upon a CBA being negotiated, and whether pricing would be affected by a league decision to proceed with "replacement players;" and, d) whether current subscribers would be permitted to decline "renewals" while retaining their status and seat locations if "replacements" are used next season.

A senior NHL official contacted us that afternoon, explaining that those decisions had not yet been reached by the clubs, and while teams would be permitted to establish their own policies, the league would issue a directive recommending guidelines pertaining to all issues raised in the e-mail. Meetings on the subject, we were informed, are ongoing.

Understand just how critical is resolution of these issues to the NHL's approach to bargaining with the union — if not to the league's very viability. Despite citing myriad unscientific public opinion polls showing support for the owners (and how is life in the White House after carrying Ohio and Florida, President Kerry?) the league cannot expect season-ticket holders to renew at anything resembling full price without a consummated CBA guaranteeing return of the world's best players to the ice.

Think: walking into an auto showroom and putting down a nonrefundable payment without knowing whether you'll be driving away with a Mercedes or a Hyundai.

At the same time, dramatically slashing ticket prices for a "replacement season" would denote official league recognition of its intent to present an inferior product to its customers. How would that play with the sponsors and television and radio rights holders?

What's more, if teams do send out invoices at dramatically reduced rates for next season, what would stop the NHLPA from immediately instructing all of the players under contract to report for next season, perhaps even decertifying in order to do so?

How would it play in St. Louis, if the Blues cut prices by 50 percent for a replacement season but face obligations to pay their 13 players under contract for 2005-06 the full $31.4M to which they're entitled? How about Philadelphia, where the Flyers have 13 players at $44.4M under contract for next year, or in Detroit, where the Red Wings are in for $50.3M for 16 players? What about the balance sheets then?

And how would it play with long-time season subscribers if they are strong-armed into renewing for a replacement season with threats of loss of rights to their seats? How will it play when the loyal customers recognize once and for all that it is their money the billionaire owners are actually using to finance the lockout, the product be damned?

The days of reckoning for the league are just around the corner.

So Ed Snider walked out of the March 1 Board meeting in Manhattan waving his rhetorical fists at Bob Goodenow. Funny that the Flyers' chairman forgot to mention how he was shouted down in the meeting upon joining the Maple Leafs in an attempt to impose their big-market will on the Board and Bettman.

Indeed, an embedded mole has told Slap Shots that Snider was summarily silenced when L.A. owner Phil Anschutz said something sounding suspiciously like, "I can buy you and sell you."

Meanwhile, we've learned that Wayne Gretzky was denounced in absentia at the Board meeting by St. Louis CEO Mark Sauer and Dallas president Jim Lites as being too "player-friendly," before Glen Sather restored order with a speech supporting No. 99.

Finally, Dom Hasek announces his intent to retire if a CBA isn't reached by the summer. This just in: the same goes for Johnny Bower.