Bellazon

Book quotes

Guest Lullaby

Guest Lullaby

Like movie quotes, but for books.

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.

Sometimes your best way to deal with shit is to not hold yourself as such a precious little prize.

Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.

The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open.

I'm tired of this world of appearances. Pigs that only look fat. Families that look happy.

No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges too close.

What it boils down to is professional modeling means getting paid to overreact to stuff like rice cakes and new shoes.

Who you are moment to moment is just a story.

Love me, love me, love me, love me, love me, love me, love me, I'll be anybody you want me to be. Use me. Change me. I can be thin with big breasts and big hair. Take me apart. Make me into anything, but just love me.

Game shows are designed to make us feel better about the random, useless facts that are all we have left of our education.

When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?

Only when we eat up this planet will God give us another. We'll be remembered more for what we destroy than what we create.

We are all self-composting.

When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves.

You have to keep recycling yourself.

The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

"You barbarians! I'll sue the council for every penny it's got! I'l have you hung, drawn, and quartered! And whipped! And boiled...until...until...until you've had enough. And then I will do it again! And when I've finished I will take all the little bits, and I will JUMP on them! And I will carry on jumping on them until I get blisters, or I can think of anything even more unpleasant to do..." -- Arthur Dent

"One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?"

"Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of." -- Arthur Dent

Now it is such a bizarrely impossible coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God. The arguement goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promply vanishes in a puff of logic.

• 2 weeks later...

Douglas Adams will be missed. Such a great sense of humor.

*pours one out for his lost homie and flashes some gangsta signs sullenly*

----

From Terry Pratchett:

"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

"I WAS AT A PARTY," he added, a shade reproachfully.

(Death is summoned by the Wizards)

"For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (B) eat, © run away from, and (d) rocks."

"Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges."

- "My granny says that dying is like going to sleep," Mort added, a shade

hopefully.

- I WOULDN'T KNOW. I HAVE DONE NEITHER.

Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome.

"Poets have tried to describe Ankh-Morpork. They have failed. Perhaps it's the sheer zestful vitality of the place, or maybe it's just that a city with a million inhabitants and no sewers is rather robust for poets, who prefer daffodils and no wonder."

- I USHERED SOULS INTO THE NEXT WORLD. I WAS THE GRAVE OF ALL HOPE. I WAS THE ULTIMATE REALITY. I WAS THE ASSASSIN AGAINST WHOM NO LOCK WOULD HOLD.

- "Yes, point taken, but do you have any particular skills?"

(Death consults a job broker)

"Women's clothes were not a subject that preoccupied Cutwell much -- in fact, usually when he thought about women his mental pictures seldom included any clothes at all -- but the vision in front of him really did take his breath away."

"You won't get away with this," said Cutwell. He thought for a bit and added, "Well, you will probably get away with it, but you'll feel bad about it on your deathbed and you'll wish -- " He stopped talking.

"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet!" he hissed. "I'm afraid of grounds." "You mean heights," said Conina. "And stop being silly." "I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!"

"There must be a hundred silver dollars in here," moaned Boggis, waving a purse. "I mean, that's not my league. That's not my class. I can't handle that sort of money. You've got to be in the Guild of Lawyers or something to steal that much."

The calender of the Theocracy of Muntab counts down, not up. No-one knows why, but it might not be a good idea to hang around and find out.

In fact, no gods anywhere play chess. They prefer simple, vicious games, where you Do Not Achieve Transcendence but Go Straight to Oblivion; a key to the understanding of all religion is that a god's idea of amusement is Snakes and Ladders with greased rungs.

"Chain letters," said the Tyrant. "The Chain Letter to the Ephebians. Forget Your Gods. Be Subjugated. Learn to Fear. Do not break the chain -- the last people who did woke up one morning to find fifty thousand armed men on their lawn."

"You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look."

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, "You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

Dhblah sidled closer. This was not hard. Dhblah sidled everywhere. Crabs thought he walked sideways.

Brother Preptil, the master of the music, had described Brutha's voice as putting him in mind of a disappointed vulture arriving too late at the dead donkey.

"Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And in times of starvation too, o'course."

The labyrinth of Ephebe is ancient and full of one hundred and one amazing things you can do with hidden springs, razor-sharp knives, and falling rocks.

"SQUEAK." (The Death of Rats)

"He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at."

The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).

The trouble was that he was talking in philosophy, but they were listening in gibberish.

Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist in the presence of an optimist.

"'E's fighting in there!" he stuttered, grabbing the captain's arm. "All by himself?" said the captain. "No, with everyone!" shouted Nobby, hopping from one foot to the other. (Making Friends and Hitting People)

YOU HAVE PERHAPS HEARD THE PHRASE THAT HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE? "Yes. Yes, of course." Death nodded. IN TIME, he said, YOU WILL LEARN THAT IT IS WRONG.

"I said I Hope it is a good party," said Galder, loudly. AT THE MOMENT IT IS, said Death levelly. I THINK IT MIGHT GO DOWNHILL VERY QUICKLY AT MIDNIGHT. "Why?" THAT'S WHEN THEY THINK I'LL BE TAKING MY MASK OFF.

• 1 month later...

Shakespeare quotes...

Hamlet:

ROSENCRANTZ: My most dear lord!

HAMLET: My excellent good friends! How dost thou,

Guildenstern? Ah, Rosencrantz! Good lads, how do ye both?

ROSENCRANTZ: As the indifferent children of the earth.

GUILDENSTERN: Happy, in that we are not over-happy;

On fortune's cap we are not the very button.

HAMLET: Nor the soles of her shoe?

ROSENCRANTZ: Neither, my lord.

HAMLET: Then you live about her waist, or in the middle of

her favours?

GUILDENSTERN: 'Faith, her privates we.

HAMLET: In the secret parts of fortune? O, most true; she

is a strumpet. What's the news?

ROSENCRANTZ: None, my lord, but that the world's grown honest.

HAMLET: Then is doomsday near: but your news is not true... (lots of double entendres, heh.. and he says that Lady Luck is a whore)

LORD POLONIUS: Do you know me, my lord?

HAMLET: Excellent well; you are a fishmonger. (he's saying that Polonius is pimping his own daughter.. heh heh)

----

Shakespeare plays are actually pretty dirty. Later on in productions of them, they sort of cleaned them up a bit and left out the naughty parts. :p

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yea i have a bunch in my aim profile:

Chuang Tzu:

1.Happiness is the absence of the striving for happiness.

2. Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.

3. Those who realize their folly are not true fools.

4. We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.

5. Men honor what lies within the sphere of their knowledge, but do not realize how dependent they are on what lies beyond it.

6. Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.

Buddha:

1. Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of diving origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

2. The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

3. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

• 3 months later...

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

Centuries ago, sailors on long voyages used to leave a pair of pigs on every deserted island. Or they'd leave a pair of goats. Either way, on any future visit, the island would be a source of meat. These islands, they were pristine. These were home to breeds of birds with no natural predators. Breeds of birds that lived nowhere else on earth. The plants there, without enemies they evolved without thorns or poisons. Without predators and enemies, these islands, they were paradise. The sailors, the next time they visited these islands, the only things still there would be herds of goats or pigs. Does this remind you of anything? Maybe the ol' Adam and Eve story? You ever wonder when God's coming back with a lot of barbecue sauce?

The sound shivers through the walls, through the table, through the window frame, and into my finger. These distraction-oholics. These focus-ophobics. Old George Orwell got it backward. Big Brother isn't watching. He's singing and dancing. He's pulling rabbits out of a hat. Big Brother's holding your attention every moment you're awake. He's making sure you're always distracted. He's making sure you're fully absorbed... and this being fed, it's worse than being watched. With the world always filling you, no one has to worry about what's in your mind. With everyone's imagination atrophied, no one will ever be a threat to the world.

The muffled thunder of dialogue comes through the walls, then a chorus of laughter. Then more thunder. Most of the laugh tracks on television were recorded in the early 1950s. These days, most of the people you hear laughing are dead.

• 1 month later...

Two of my favourites:

'Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.'

~'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabokov

'"I love you," Buttercup said. "I know this must come as something of a surprise, since all I've ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But ten minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well they are. How many minutes ago was I? Twenty? Had I brought my feelings up to then? It doesn't matter." Buttercup still could not look at him. The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage. "I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there cannot be comparison. I love you so much more now than when you opened your hovel door, there cannot be comparison. There is no room in my body for anything but you. My arms love you, my ears adore you, my knees shake with blind affection. My mind begs you to ask it something so that it can obey. Do you want me to follow you for the rest of your days? I will do that. do you want me to crawl? I will crawl. I will be quiet for you or sing for you, or if you are hungry, let me bring you food, or if you have thirst and nothing will quench it but Arabian wine, I will go to Araby, even though it is across the world, and bring a bottle back for your lunch. Anything there is that I can do for you, I will do for you; anything there is that I cannot do, I will learn to do. I know I cannot compete with the Countess in skills or wisdom or appeal, and I saw the way she looked at you. And I saw the way you looked at her. But remember, please, that she is old and has other interests, while I am seventeen and for me there is only you. Dearest Westly- I've never called you that before, have I?- Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, -darling Westley, adored Westley, sweet perfect Westley, whisper that I have a chance to win your love." And with that, she dared the bravest thing she'd ever done: she looked right into his eyes.

He closed the door in her face.

Without a word.

Without a word.'

~'The Princess Bride' by S. Morgenstern (sorry that quote was so long, I just really really like it)

There's like...a billion more I can think of now, those are just the first two I thought of at first. :blink: flipping through 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' by Lewis Carroll, I'd have to copy the whole book, since I love every word of it. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

"A stone has been cast into the reliable, immutable pond of the past, and as the ripples subside everything appears different. The reflections are quite other; everything has swung and shattered, it is all beyond recovery" -The Photograph, Penelope Lively

"A stone has been cast into the reliable, immutable pond of the past, and as the ripples subside everything appears different. The reflections are quite other; everything has swung and shattered, it is all beyond recovery" -The Photograph, Penelope Lively

remind me to never read that book, i'd have to keep a dictionnary near me, that'd be really annoying <_<

remind me to never read that book, i'd have to keep a dictionnary near me, that'd be really annoying <_<

it's really good :cry:

maybe there's a french translation :)

it's really good :cry:

maybe there's a french translation :)

actually i must start reading books in english but the dictionnary thing really bothers me :/

I guess i'll just read Rolling Stone :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

okay :laugh: i will but I'm not sure who said them

usually when i like a Quote i write it down in my Quetes book :laugh:

anyway here i'll post some :p

1. "The spaces between your fingers were created so that others could fill them in."

2. "What do you do when the only one that can make you stop crying is the person who made you cry?"

3. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone."

4. "When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have thousand reasons to smile."

5. "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them."

6. "I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh, but i never knew that looking back on the laughs would make me cry."

7. "No Man is worth your tears and the one who is won't make you cry."

8. "It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for something you are not."

9. "My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

10. "There are two words guys hate: Don't and Stop...Unless those words are spoken together"

11. "Don't take life too serious, you'll never escape it alive anyway"